- Can't remember the name. (Games:8)
- RISC OS on GitHub (News:2)
- Aemulor (Gen:7)
- GMail and POP (Gen:2)
- !DualHead in use (News:6)
- I'm back... (Gen:12)
- R-Comp release !DualHead (News:1)
- August news round-up (News:)
- Revisting the old Acorn magazines online (News:4)
- Jason Tribbeck's code library released (News:13)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: General: Aemulor

Aemulor
  adrianl (18:16 5/9/2017)
  arawnsley (21:50 5/9/2017)
    dfeugey (16:44 9/9/2017)
      dfeugey (12:22 11/9/2017)
        adrianl (13:37 18/9/2017)
          dfeugey (07:27 19/9/2017)
            adrianl (23:11 19/9/2017)

Adrian Lees Message #124146, posted by adrianl at 18:16, 5/9/2017
Hi all, a quick note to say that we are no longer selling Aemulor as a commercial product because I want, in time, to make it available as a free download with more frequent - albeit less well-tested - updates in response to OS changes and the backwards-compatibility issues that result. On account of the day job, I have not always been the most responsive in releasing updates to accommodate OS and platform changes, and I don't want users refraining from upgrading and updating for fear of being of being unable to run their old software (you know who you are, Impression!)

So, in the near future I shall make available the latest stable, released builds for all platforms, accompanied by the latest beta with any compatibility fixes and improvements that are not yet proven. I shall post a URL at that point.

Thanks to Spellings for publishing and supporting Aemulor for all these years, it remains my proudest creation, and to TIB and the RISC OS community for being around for so long.

Best wishes to all,

A
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #124147, posted by arawnsley at 21:50, 5/9/2017, in reply to message #124146
R-Comp chap
Thanks Adrian - that sounds brilliant. The software has been instrumental in allowing people to enjoy modern hardware without fear of losing the older software, which still accounts for the bulk volume of RISC OS applications.

Whilst we may champion and recommend actively developed, modern software, the fact remains that there were many, excellent applications released in the 26bit era that do specific jobs and have never been replaced/reproduced/surplanted in what they do. For all those, there's Aemulor, THANK GOODNESS smile smile

Thanks again for all you do, as I know it has helped hundreds, maybe thousands of RISC OS users over the years. I can safely say that without Aemulor, there'd be a LOT of current users who would have left the scene because their favourite applications were no longer viable.

[Edited by arawnsley at 21:51, 5/9/2017]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Feugey Message #124148, posted by dfeugey at 16:44, 9/9/2017, in reply to message #124147
That's a fantastic news. I plan to do a page about software that can be used under RISC OS with the help of Aemulor. A good way to get more software for our platform.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Feugey Message #124150, posted by dfeugey at 12:22, 11/9/2017, in reply to message #124148
Can I suggest a 32bit mode? More and more software made for the Iyonix simply do not work any more on ARMv7 or ARMv8 hardware. A lot will work under Aemulor. Perhaps Aemulor could treat them a different (and more efficient) way ?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #124160, posted by adrianl at 13:37, 18/9/2017, in reply to message #124150
Can I suggest a 32bit mode? More and more software made for the Iyonix simply do not work any more on ARMv7 or ARMv8 hardware. A lot will work under Aemulor. Perhaps Aemulor could treat them a different (and more efficient) way ?
With Aemulor on post-ARMv5 hardware there really isn't much more that can be done to increase the speed of 32-bit applications running under Aemulor without perhaps all of the work involved in building a new emulation engine, which I'm afraid just isn't feasible for free software being maintained whilst I have a day job. I have some experimental code for that alternative approach, but it frankly just doesn't work right now, so please don't expect it to materialise.

Energies would probably be better expended badgering the application authors to update their software.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

David Feugey Message #124161, posted by dfeugey at 07:27, 19/9/2017, in reply to message #124160
It's OK for me smile Anyway, I plan also to test Aemulor compatibility for 32bit software not compatible with post ARMv5 hardware. Since I have a Pi3, speed is here, but I miss Aemulor. A lot.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Adrian Lees Message #124162, posted by adrianl at 23:11, 19/9/2017, in reply to message #124161
It's OK for me smile Anyway, I plan also to test Aemulor compatibility for 32bit software not compatible with post ARMv5 hardware. Since I have a Pi3, speed is here, but I miss Aemulor. A lot.
I have a Pi3 too, although sadly it has only been used for the day job thus far, although ARMv8 compatibility is obviously high on my ToDo list for Aemulor.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: General: Aemulor