User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: General: Acorn A4 woes.

Acorn A4 woes.
  chiefwhosm (16:00 19/4/2015)

chief Message #123563, posted by chiefwhosm at 16:00, 19/4/2015
So firstly thanks to microbits for the help in the other thread. Unfortunately my problems did not stop there.

I put the machine back together not noticing the keyboard wasn't fully in place and locked the lid closed. The only way to free it was to remove it from the hinges and not knowing there were washers etc in the hinges I now have two washers and two spacers and no idea where they slot back in - please could someone let me know where they belong.

Then I find that the A4 won't boot if the SD<>IDE adapter is plugged into the computer. It's as though the adapter is taking all the power for itself so the rest of the machine can't start. Keyboard keys light, brief click as though starting then everything off.

Figured this meant buying the adapter from cje micros (along with a new battery) but on going on the site and finding the A4 compatible adapter, it's the same SD adapter as the one I have so now I'm a bit stumped.

The only thing I can think of is if it's because I'm using a microsd card (the one I use on my A4000 with all my stuff in it) as opposed to a full SD card but any advice would be welcome.

The machine does boot up as normal without the adapter.

Finally to add to my woes the brightness control suddenly dropped off the screen and I snapped off one of the clips from the econet top cover (looks like a past owner had snapped its opposite one too or it's somewhere in the room and I never noticed).

All in all not the best of days.

*sigh*

[Edited by chiefwhosm at 20:35, 19/4/2015]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Acorn Arcade forums: General: Acorn A4 woes.