User accounts
Register new account
Forgot password
Forum stats
List of members
Search the forums

Advanced search
Recent discussions
- WROCC March 2024 meeting o... Hughes and Peter Richmond (News:1)
- Rougol March 2024 meeting on monday with Bernard Boase (News:)
- Drag'n'Drop 13i2 edition reviewed (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 talks (News:4)
- February 2024 News Summary (News:1)
- Next developer fireside chat (News:)
- DDE31d released (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 Report (News:)
- South-West Show 2024 in pictures (News:)
- Big NVMe news for the RISC OS at the South-West Show (News:)
Latest postings RSS Feeds
RSS 2.0 | 1.0 | 0.9
Atom 0.3
Misc RDF | CDF

View on Mastodon
@www.iconbar.com@rss-parrot.net
Site Search

Article archives
Acorn Arcade forums: General: Archimedes Software Preservation Project

Archimedes Software Preservation Project
  This is a long thread. Click here to view the threaded list.

Philip Webster Message #120635, posted by pwx at 13:51, 18/6/2012, in reply to message #120633
Have "Minotaur" and "Diggers (All Archimedes version)" covered. If you have the RPC version of Diggers, that one is missing.

Best get scanning then wink

Acrobat can OCR with the original font, the output is indistinguishable from the original. If you drop me an eMail, I'll send you an example.

[Edited by sirbod at 13:45, 18/6/2012]
I'm not sure if there ever was a specific RPC version of Diggers - but I'll get around to testing this copy sometime soon. I remember it working on my RiscPC, and it was one of the few games I held back from selling when I had my ill-advised clear-out.

I don't have Acrobat either. Is there an open source equivalent? Also, many of the fonts are likely to be paid-for ones from the various companies that publish this sort of thing.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #120636, posted by sirbod at 17:18, 18/6/2012, in reply to message #120635
I can do the Acrobat bit, if you can send me the scans.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Matthew Thompson Message #120703, posted by Matt at 12:01, 26/6/2012, in reply to message #120610
How do I email you, I can't see how to do that, unless i'm missing the obvious?
It's cunningly hidden in the ADFFS help file:
spam-riscos at sirbod dot freeserve dot co dot uk

Let me know your machine spec and the list of original software if it's not too much trouble.
OK thanks, I will give that a go.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #120731, posted by filecore at 15:21, 29/6/2012, in reply to message #120703

Seen this?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #120732, posted by swirlythingy at 20:39, 29/6/2012, in reply to message #120731

To use Google Groups Discussions, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings and then refresh this page.
Well, it's interesting, but I'm not quite sure how it's relevant to the thread...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #120733, posted by filecore at 21:11, 29/6/2012, in reply to message #120732

To use Google Groups Discussions, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings and then refresh this page.
Well, it's interesting, but I'm not quite sure how it's relevant to the thread...
Try using a relevant browser that's capable of coping with the Internet demands of a decade ago?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Holger Palmroth Message #120734, posted by Raeddie at 21:31, 29/6/2012, in reply to message #120733
Try using a relevant browser that's capable of coping with the Internet demands of a decade ago?
Too bad that JavaScript is absolutely necessary to view Usenet articles.

http://newsgroups.derkeiler.com/Archive/Comp/comp.sys.acorn.misc/2012-06/msg00140.html

Oh, wait... tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #120735, posted by sirbod at 05:37, 30/6/2012, in reply to message #120731
Seen this?
I hadn't, but have now messaged Matthew - thanks for the pointer. He did in fact email me on Thu night about imaging and scanning them, so hopefully either way, they won't end up being lost or skipped!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Watson Message #120736, posted by scary_sarah at 18:56, 30/6/2012, in reply to message #120735
I'm on the scrounge....

Revitalising an A3010 with the plan on keeping it going for the next 20 years+.

The problem is software, to do this you need some to start with and the machine I have came with dozens of magazine discs, but nothing "decent".

Does anyone want the magazine discs?

Any advice on how I can make my project happen would be appreciated (considering the IDE/MMC route).

Currently at the stage of clean / replace CMOS battery.

grin
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #120737, posted by sirbod at 06:47, 1/7/2012, in reply to message #120736
Have a look on "The Zone!" on EAB, if you want games that have been imaged:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=825252
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #120739, posted by filecore at 08:29, 2/7/2012, in reply to message #120734

To use Google Groups Discussions, please enable JavaScript
Too bad that JavaScript is absolutely necessary to view Usenet articles.

Oh, wait... tongue
If I cared, I would come up with a witty response. But I don't, so I won't.

Seen this?
I hadn't, but have now messaged Matthew - thanks for the pointer. He did in fact email me on Thu night about imaging and scanning them, so hopefully either way, they won't end up being lost or skipped!
On this topic, while moving house at the weekend I found a bunch of photographs I took for listing Acorn software on eBay, from about a decade ago. I'll make up a list of what's in them and scan any that you don't already have.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120740, posted by pwx at 09:08, 2/7/2012, in reply to message #120737
Have a look on "The Zone!" on EAB, if you want games that have been imaged:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=825252
Missed a lot of them, if your EAB posts are any indication of what was previously posted. Glad to see that Orion got imaged - a good old Minerva classic.

edit: typo

[Edited by pwx at 10:08, 2/7/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120741, posted by pwx at 09:12, 2/7/2012, in reply to message #120735
Seen this?
He has 'Badger Trails' listed, which I also have - it's a lovely bit of software, and the accompanying VHS tape is brilliant as well. Is it worth having a copy of that as well - the tape, I mean?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jason Togneri Message #120743, posted by filecore at 11:39, 2/7/2012, in reply to message #120741

He has 'Badger Trails' listed, which I also have - it's a lovely bit of software, and the accompanying VHS tape is brilliant as well. Is it worth having a copy of that as well - the tape, I mean?
I also had (might have? not sure) that, it's excellent. You should definitely try to rip the tape to digital format if you have the ability to do so. I spent many wonderful evenings learning about badgers when I was younger big smile
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120744, posted by pwx at 14:16, 2/7/2012, in reply to message #120743

You should definitely try to rip the tape to digital format if you have the ability to do so.
I have a TV capture card in a PC, so I just need an old VHS tape player to hook up to it and we're all set!
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #120745, posted by sirbod at 14:30, 2/7/2012, in reply to message #120741
It will need MPG'ing, thanks for volunteering wink
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #120748, posted by sirbod at 15:06, 2/7/2012, in reply to message #120548
To date, the stats for this project are:

3 - Contributors (you should be ashamed of yourselves!)
460 - Known games
33 - Original games imaged
78 - Original floppies imaged
5 - Complete JFDI's (PDF manuals, PNG snaps, JFD discs etc)
199 - Games loaded and snapshots created
273 - Missing games
~1000 - Hours spent programming ADFFS
~40000 - Tracks played, whilst programming
5 - Arc's purchased for testing games
4 - License owners that have contacted me about this project
1 - License owners that have given permission to give their software away for free
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #120751, posted by pwx at 15:23, 2/7/2012, in reply to message #120745
It will need MPG'ing, thanks for volunteering wink
I'll add it to the queue...
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #120755, posted by VincceH at 08:59, 3/7/2012, in reply to message #120748
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

To date, the stats for this project are:

3 - Contributors (you should be ashamed of yourselves!)
Well that's not a very nice thing to say to the people who are helping, is it? tongue
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #121248, posted by sirbod at 22:06, 16/10/2012, in reply to message #120748
Update on current position:

3 - Contributors (they've provided 18 complete scan sets and 5 JFD floppy sets)
525 - Known games
38 - Games imaged as JFD
85 - JFD floppies
21 - Complete JFDI's (PDF manuals, PNG snaps, JFD discs etc)
240 - Games loaded and snapshots created
288 - Missing games (no known APD/ADF/JFD or owner with original on floppy)
4 - License owners that have contacted JASPP about the project
2 - License owners that have given permission to give their software away for free
51 - Originals purchased as part of the project

The project now has a name "JASPP" and a registered DNS address.

I've now employed a full time researcher to track down license owners and seek permission to make them available for free, she's currently tracking down the smaller license holders/developers/publishers.

If you are a smaller license owner and are interested in contributing, please contact me. We're leaving the larger license owners until later in the project

My second web developer has dropped out, so I'm still looking for an Apache/mySQL developer to code the website if you know anyone willing to devote time to it.

Contact me via: jon at jaspp dot org dot uk
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Nick Message #121249, posted by polas at 08:26, 17/10/2012, in reply to message #120748
What a good idea - thank you for doing this. I know licencing is an issue, but it would be great if (some of) the contents were made downloadable. There is a large amount of software written for these machines and people not getting into ROS via new hardware have (compatibility depending) loads of stuff that they can download and start playing with.

What is the position with software licencing when it comes to abandonware? Realistically much (but obviously not all) software written for RISC OS is abandoned and whilst it might not be freely distributable, arguably it is better that it is used rather than just left to die out.

Nick

[Edited by polas at 15:59, 22/10/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #121250, posted by pwx at 09:37, 17/10/2012, in reply to message #121248

288 - Missing games (no known APD/ADF/JFD or owner with original on floppy)
Is there a list somewhere?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #121251, posted by sirbod at 15:01, 17/10/2012, in reply to message #121249
I know licencing is an issue, but it would be great if (some of) the contents were made downloadable.
As soon as the project website is in place, any software that has been authorised, will be made available for download.

What is the position with software licencing when it comes to abandonware?
Legally, there's no such thing as abandonware, the rights are held by the publisher/author until they either give up all rights, sell the rights, or pass the rights on to someone else. For the project to make them available, a contract has to exist between the current holder and JASPP. Even software that's already been made available on the Acorn Arcade will need that in place.

I'm sure you are probably aware, but there is lots of abandonware over at ...
Probably best to remove that link for legal reasons.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #121252, posted by sirbod at 17:53, 17/10/2012, in reply to message #121250
Please see this thread for the current preservation status of individual titles.

[Edited by sirbod at 08:37, 9/10/2013]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Andrew Rawnsley Message #121253, posted by arawnsley at 18:35, 17/10/2012, in reply to message #121252
R-Comp chap
"Blindfold" (R-Comp Interactive) - not aware of any such game that we've done. Similarly "Tilt"

I have originals of a number of the games mentioned, so may be able to help.

Cadaver/The Payoff were never released, despite being on the Bitmap Borthers' website, AFAIK. I think the port got to about 75% complete, but never finished. Maybe not even that far. (I was looking forward to it at the time!).

Rise of the Triad was never release for RISC OS either.

Iron Dignity never saw past a tech-demo. Similarly Oblivion, although I think I have source to the 2 level version that Jack put together somewhere.

Spitfire fury was only ever done on CD as part of APDL's flightsim collection, whilst Ankh is also CD only.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

VinceH Message #121254, posted by VincceH at 21:14, 17/10/2012, in reply to message #121252
VincceH
Lowering the tone since the dawn of time

Missing / incomplete:
@ Drop Rock () ()
@ Escape from Exeria () ()
@ Floopy (1993) (Soft Rock Software)
@ Guardians of the Labyrinth () ()
@ Switch! () ()
These are all Soft Rock Software.

These dates are from memory, and therefore as likely to be complete rubbish as they are correct - but I think Escape from Exeria was 1989, Guardians was 1990, Drop Rock was 1991, Switch 1992 and Floopy 1993.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #121255, posted by sirbod at 22:25, 17/10/2012, in reply to message #121253
"Blindfold" (R-Comp Interactive) - not aware of any such game that we've done. Similarly "Tilt"
Turns out, they're both part of Logic Mania by The Fourth Dimension, as I'm unsure if they were released individually, I'll leave them in the list for the time being. I've corrected and removed the unreleased titles, likewise Ankh as its floppy based games we're interested in preserving at the moment.

@ Drop Rock () ()
@ Escape from Exeria () ()
@ Floopy (1993) (Soft Rock Software)
@ Guardians of the Labyrinth () ()
@ Switch! () ()
These are all Soft Rock Software
Now updated, thanks.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Philip Webster Message #121256, posted by pwx at 08:38, 18/10/2012, in reply to message #121252
Wimp Game 2 does not exist. It certainly was not released, and the only mention of it I've seen is a joke in the end credits of the original Wimp Game telling players to look out for 'Wimp Game 2: Son of Wimp'. 4d may have listed it in an ad at one point.

Sheep Racing Deluxe was not released. I know this for certain as I did some of the graphics for it. The programmer was Quin Parker, one of the regulars on John Stonier's 'Digital Databank BBS'. The publisher was going to be Werewolf Software.

"James Pond 2+" is missing from your list. This is the version with Bertie Basset removed / replaced by a gingerbread man, as his inclusion was not authorised in the conversion. A couple of extra levels were stuck on as well, taken from the CD32 version.

It might be worth trying to find out who wrote 'Spitfire Fury' - there were screenshots published, although 4D never released it. It's a Chocks Away-like Spitfire flight sim.

[Edited by pwx at 11:16, 18/10/2012]
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Martin Bazley Message #121257, posted by swirlythingy at 11:38, 18/10/2012, in reply to message #121252

@ Inferno () (Paradise Games)
I have this one. It has one of those infuriating copy protection mechanisms which require the original disk to be in the drive when you load it, which has had a direct impact on how much I've played it. AFAIK the disk is still fully working, and comes in original (albeit slightly graffiti'd) packaging.
@ Lemmings & Oh, No! More Lemmings [RPC version] (1991) (Krisalis Software)
I think the original boxes for the RPC versions of both are in the house somewhere, although I'm pretty sure they were released separately.
@ Emotions - Search for Humanity (1997) (The Datafile)
Picked this up at a show a few years back, in original box, but it has no manual. I've never been sure if it was meant to have one or not.

2nd July:
4 - License owners that have contacted me about this project
1 - License owners that have given permission to give their software away for free
16th October:
4 - License owners that have contacted JASPP about the project
2 - License owners that have given permission to give their software away for free
Did one of them have a change of heart?
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Jon Abbott Message #121258, posted by sirbod at 11:52, 18/10/2012, in reply to message #121256
It might be worth trying to find out who wrote 'Spitfire Fury' - there were screenshots published, although 4D never released it. It's a Chocks Away-like Spitfire flight sim.
I believe it was Andrew Hutchings.

Other changes you mention are now updated.
  ^[ Log in to reply ]

Pages (6): |< < 2 > >|

Acorn Arcade forums: General: Archimedes Software Preservation Project